Building Fabric Reports

Building Fabric Surveys are an important part of any property maintenance to understand what measures can aid in the reducing of energy consumption and make a healthier home to live in.

Talk to us for a quote

Insulation, Ventilation and Building Fabric

Increased heating bills, property damage and living health issues are quite often related to poor property condition resulting in damp, condensation and mould. Our bespoke reports are designed to be relative per property which details insulation, ventilation and building fabric conditions detailing any potential lifestyle related problems. Whether you are a Private Landlord, Social Housing Landlord or simply want to understand what measures you can take to eradicate any damp or mould issues you are experiencing in your home, call CES Northwest for us to provide you with an impartial bespoke Building Fabric Report. CES Northwest are sure to produce an impartial report that will assist in finding the right solution for your property. Cavity wall insulation involves the injection of a suitable insulant, using a specified and approved system designed to ensure a complete fill of the cavity wall area.

Inspect before you Buy/Sell

Cavity Wall insulation has received some bad press over the past 10 years with reports of damp and mould appearing on the inside walls following installation. In many cases, this is due to poor installation techniques and dated insulation products. This can lead onto difficulties when marketing the property for vendors and subsequent issues for potential buyers.

Historically, the diagnosis of damp in cavity wall properties is quite often misdiagnosed with hundreds and sometime thousands of pounds spent on tanking solutions, chemical damp proof courses through to the installation of passive input ventilators to remove the damp from the air and keep the damp at bay (without dealing with the root-cause).

Our Inspect before you Buy/Sell service is an increasingly popular product we offer taking away the burden from RICS Surveyors to deploy a general Damp Expert who are typically conditioned to look for traditional causes for damp.

  • Free comprehensive and expert diagnosis report with pictorial images of the underline problem
  • Fully accredited and qualified to extract Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Market leading Tools & Equipment to carry out all work activities
  • Competitive and fixed quotations
  • Trusted by Insurance Companies & Social Housing Providers
  • Qualified Employed Staff
  • Over 100 Years cumulative industry experience
  • ‘Right First Time’ fix
  • Full Certification and Post work Completion Report evidencing with pictorial images the work has been completed to our high standard

Insurance Supply Chain

Our bespoke investigative reports have been frequently requested for building insurance claim purposes following general perils such as flood, fire, escape of water and subsidence. The report itself provides pictorial evidence of any latent damage to insulation systems that cannot be seen without a reasonable thorough inspection coupled with an explanation of the findings.

Our robust reporting mechanisms have been used to settle Insurance disputes for Principal Designers, Loss Assessors, Principal Contractors through to Disaster Restoration Companies.

Borescope & Invasive Inspections

There are several reasons why it may be necessary to carry out a wall survey using a borescope inspection system:
  • To ascertain the Wall Construction
  • To establish the presence of Cavity Wall Insulation
  • To establish the condition of Cavity Wall Insulation
  • To ascertain the buildings suitability to receive insulation systems should none exist
  • To establish the type of Cavity Wall Insulation present
  • To establish the cavity condition in terms of rubble/debris
  • To inspect the Wall Ties and condition
  • To investigate any potential water ingress, internal or external
  • To locate pipes and orleaks
  • To investigate the type of wall behind a rendered outer leaf
  • To check for infestations of rodents or insects
  • Pest Control
The borescope survey can also supply evidence as to what type of wall is behind external rendering. This is particularly useful when there is some doubt as to whether a property has a solid wall, cavity wall, system-built wall or is timber framed/steel framed.

Using our specialist equipment, our surveyors can drill a small borehole into the outer leaf of the building – and then use our borehole inspection camera to inspect the wall or cavity if applicable.

Our surveyors are able to take images internally and externally which can be used to provide evidence as to whether the wall has been previously insulated with cavity wall insulation, or if the wall is suffering from cavity wall insulation decay. The surveyor will then make good the borehole using appropriate sealing procedures. Our surveys are followed up with a comprehensive report, summarising the wall fabric and recommendations for future energy efficiency measures.

For cavity walls, we can also provide an indicative measurement of the cavity’s depth. This may be useful for further investigation as part of a Chartered Surveyor’s Report regarding hard-to-treat cavity walls.

Energy Performance Certificates

All domestic and commercial buildings in the UK available to buy or rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). If you own a home, getting an energy performance survey done could help you identify ways to save money on your energy bills and improve the comfort of your home.

Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). EPCs let the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be. The EPC will also state what the energy-efficiency rating could be if improvements are made and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating. Even if you rent your home, some improvements noted on the EPC may be worth implementing, such as switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs. EPCs are valid for 10 years from when issued.

Your property's EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. You must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce the EPC. If you implement any of the energy efficiency recommendations outlined in your EPC, you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include these improvements.

Source – Energy Saving Trust

EPC’s - Private and Social Landlords

From 1 April 2018, the new Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) comes into effect, which requires landlords to ensure that their properties reach a minimum EPC rating of E. The regulations apply to new lets and renewals of existing tenancies. Any landlord who fails to meet the minimum compliance standards could face a minimum penalty of up to £10,000, rising to a maximum of £150,000.

Source -

CES have approved and registered Energy Assessors to carry out Commercial and Domestic EPC’s throughout the UK with localised Assessors.

TOP Call Now ButtonCall Now